In order for animals to have a stimulating life, they need opportunities to engage in natural behaviors. At Baypath, our staff and volunteers prioritize this need on a daily basis. Our commitment to enrichment helps satisfy both the physical and psychological needs of animals and allows them to make choices.
Commitment to Enrichment
Enrichment can come in many forms, including altering the physical environment, modifying animal care, creating social groupings and increasing sensory stimulation. Our Enrichment Program includes:
- Feeder puzzles and treat dispensers for an engaging meal experience
- Vertical climbing structures for the cats
- Communal housing for compatible animals
- Play groups for compatible dogs
- Using scents around an environment
- Simulating predator/prey stalk-and-chase behaviors for cats
- Hide-y beds and quiet space for shy animals
- Auditory stimulation like books on tapes
- Human interaction – touch, play, even reading!